Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cardinals and Steelers chat with Will

So here's part of a chat that Will and I had yesterday. We were talking fantasy football, and it turned into talking about the Cardinals and Steelers this year and what they have to do to win. We also effectively (in my opinion) disprove the theory that Mike Wallace of the Steelers is going to be some sort of breakout player this year. I hope you enjoy the chat, maybe we'll post them a little more often.


me: I'm not sure that the cards are going to stop throwing the ball anytime soon.
2:26 PM But at the same time, don't you see the offense changing at least a little bit?
  As in a litttle more running?
 William: Well at least when they throw it, its not gonna be deep bombs to Fitz, its gonna be slants etc.
  You obviously havent read my FPL posts.
 me: no, just our blog posts, haha.
 William: I dont know what they will do, but here is what they HAVE to do to stay competitive:
 me: I did read the one that collinsworth quoted though.
2:27 PM William: Run the ball effectively, reduce the number of 3rd an longs and make Leinart a game manager as opposed to putting him in situations where he must win the game - he will not.
  They need to bring that run/pass balance back closer to 40/60 or 50/50
  instead of 30/70, which is right where they've been for a while.
 me: So that translates to run the ball more, give leinart half the field to look at when he passes, and keep the passing game to short outs and hitches. With ALOT of TE mixed in.
  
 William: YES
2:29 PM me: So how is the TE not the MVP (for the Cardinals)?
  I just look at Kevin Kolb throwing to Brent Celek as the prime example.
 William: The flip side of this, is their D has to be stingy because they won't hang points up like they used to. Having 21 pt first half deficits must be a thing of the past.
  Well - I think you will see greater TE production, but they have so many that they use and none of them have Celek, Witten, or Owens type hands.
2:30 PM me: Right, because noodle armed rainmakers to Fitzgerald aren't going to win ball games.
 William: exactly
  haha
 me: Another thing, I don't understand how Mike Wallace is going to be this great sleeper.
2:31 PM He caught alot of long balls because everyone keyed on Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes... with Santonio being the supposed threat for the long ball.
 William: Well he would be, if the womanizer was huckin' the ball.
 me: He just surprised people/teams last year and will probably get more attention this year.
 William: That's true.
  He also wasnt even that productive last year!
  I had him in my league
 me: Now there's no Santonio and he doesn't have triple chin Ben throwing to him for the first 4-6 games
 William: He was OK at best.
2:32 PM me: Right, and with Mendenhall looking GOOD, the Steelers should be able to run more
  and use the pass as more of a change of pace than anything else.
 William: Assuming that the line holds.
 me: Exactly, losing the right tackle means less time in the pocket.
  
2:33 PM William: Well that, and they need to get back to winning games with defense.
 me: So there, we just talked people out of the big ticket sleeper in fantasy football (Mike Wallace).

No comments:

Post a Comment